Saturday 19 November 2011

The Dancing Nataraja





The German Market came to town today! And my friend and I decided to have a jolly time, parading our way through the mass of Russian Dolls, laterns and hand crafted biblical figures. We bought fudge and at one point were standing around listening to this band who sang the Prince of Belar theme tume at one point in some kind of folk/indie manner! Which was so entertaining, and being the nice people we are chucked 70p in the guitar casing they had casually strewned out with coppers and note in. I know seems a bit stingey 70p but I mean, it was my friends money and I felt greedy taking something over one-pound so I just got a couple of silvers! So after browsing around for a big, and after being sick with the amount of fudge we bought! We got round to buying some shizz from people. And because last year I never bought anything for myself I thought I'd have a splurge and bought this really interesting pendent (and my friend bought me a morroccan lantern aswell for my Christmas present, she rathers to buy me things that I litrally point at and tell her!) it only cost me four-pounds included a leather thong to wear it on (and no, before you assume!) The woman who sold us this stuff was really interesting and said to me that he was a Dancing Nataraja who was some kind of God in the hindu stories, and she said it was interesting how I picked him out and how he will be good to have with me. I just wanted it because it had a loop where I could attatch a chain and he was the only one I could find in the box that was full of these little things! Anyway I bought him, and researched into it, and I love him so much, I really like having him around on my neck havin' a little shimmy with me and for four-punds, totally worth it for centimental reasons!

Dancing Nataraja: "lord of dance".  A dipiction of the hindu God Shiva whom as the cosmic dancer Koothan who performs his divine dance to destroy a weary universe and make preparations for god Brahma to start the process of creation. There are many significances within Shiva. First, it is seen as the image of his rhythmic play which is the source of all movement within the universe. This is represented by the circular or elliptical frame surrounding the Lord. Secondly, the purpose of his dance is to release the souls of all men from the snare of illusion.

So I found this all very interesting, and hopefully if I remember this shizzle about this little dude, it'll make a great conversation piece at the dinner table! Have a great rest of the weekend everyone and I shall talk soon!










x


1 comment:

  1. I hope you are enjoying your journey with Nataraja!
    Best wishes from Japan,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your banter! I look forward to reading it!


Piece done by Amy Ross